Saturday, February 22, 2014

3D

I decided to try some 3D modeling with an open-source tool called Blender. After a few hours, I got used to how most of it works. I'm still no expert, but I think I understand the basics. This doesn't look like something Pixar would produce, but I think for one of my first attempts it turned out all right.

I didn't think to take a screenshot till I was pretty far along, but I thought it might be interesting to put the different stages up here. You can see in the second picture that I used 2D pictures as reference to make the 3D model. It helped keep the proportions correct.

Anyway, this is a little different than the usual pieces I work on, but it was kind of cool to do something like this. I think I prefer Photoshop and the Wacom tablet, but this helped me learn a lot about the anatomy of the face. I can even use this as a reference in the future for lighting and general perspective when I work on 2D pictures.





1 comment: